When installing kitchen cabinets, there are a lot of things to consider, and it can be a complicated process. Luckily, we have the tools and resources to make it easy. Here's a look at our Quick Jig tool, and a quick step-by-step cabinet installation guide.
Video: Quick Jig (Knob & Handle Jig)
In this video, we will explain how to use the Quick Jig, a handy tool for accurately installing knobs and handles to your kitchen cabinets. We have figured out over the years that this hardware can make a huge difference in your kitchen, and can give it a whole new, high-end feel.
To use the Quick Jig, all you need to do is find the center of the drawer, and place the jig on top. There is a convenient hole on top so you can see this center line. You can then adjust the height. The Quick Jig has unique pins that can be adjusted to various depths, so whether you are working on a flat surface, or with cabinets with the heaviest trim, you can get equally accurate placement. This is unheard of for other jigs!
You will want to use your handle to measure the proper width. Put the pins in the screw holes of the handle to space it, and make sure that it is centered with the ruler along the top of the jig. Now, you are ready to mark the cabinet. The pins on the jig were made to make a small indentation when tapped with a hammer. This not only marks where you will need to drill, but it also helps keep your drill from wandering, ensuring accuracy every time and preventing damage.
Installing Kitchen Cabinets
When installing kitchen cabinets, there are several things that you need to watch out for to prevent costly mistakes and save you time. Here is a basic step-by-step guide:
- Make a story stick- Using a 1x4 or similar, measure your base cabinets, and then use that measurement to put a mark on the story stick.
- Find the highest point- For this, you can use a laser line to keep track of the highest point.
- Set your laser- When you are done measuring with your story stick, the laser should be at or above the mark on the story stick, at every point that the cabinets will be installed.
- Make runs- Screw your cabinets together using cabinet screws and making sure to align and hold them together with super clamps. This makes it into one large piece of furniture.
- Install EZ Levels (for base cabinets)- Attach each leveler to the front and back corners of the cabinet. Check out our guide to see how many you will need.
- Place the cabinet and level (for base cabinets)- Using your laser line as a guide, adjust the outside EZ Levels to meet the laser line: first in the back, and then in the front. The laser should illuminate the whole top surface of the cabinet. Drop any levelers in the center for support.
- ledger board (for Wall Cabinets)- Use a laser line to attach a ledger board to the wall at the studs for your cabinets to rest on. This ledger board might need some shims to make sure that It is plumb.
- Install (for Wall Cabinets)- Lift up the cabinets so that they rest on the ledger board. If the ledger board is level, you should only need to adjust the cabinet to be even on the wall (because no wall is perfect).
- Secure the cabinet- Using cabinet screws, screw through the cabinet and into the stud for stability and strength.
- Place doors and hardware- This is where you develop the aesthetic face of your cabinets with doors, knobs, and handles, and crown molding. This is the Quick Jig's time to shine.
For more information about the different aspects of cabinet installation, take a look at our instructional videos. Our professional team will teach you what you need to know to get started.
We are proud to offer the Quick Jig as one of our many products available to anybody that needs to install cabinets. We are dedicated to providing you with practical tools to make your cabinet installations easier, saving you time and money. If you are in need of installation solutions for your next project, stop by our online store. If you still aren't convinced you can also read our customer reviews, and don't hesitate to contact us with any questions. Give us a call at 800-726-5550 today!